All Saints was commenced in the mid-12th century and is entered through a carved Norman doorway typical of the period. The carved wooden reredos behind the altar was put in place under the patronage of the Reverend Edmund Ibbotson in the last years of the 19th century. He also painted the beautifully decorated chancel ceiling. Two of the original medieval bells dating from around 1375 are still in use; the original fifteenth century tenor bell dedicated to the Magdalene was found to be cracked so now stands on the floor of the church.
Text copyright © 2014 Joan Campbell