At 60.7m (199ft) All Saints is the longest parish church in Kent and its 15th century tower is one of the tallest in the county with a height of 40.2m (132ft). This grand church is known locally as the Cathedral of the Marsh. In the northwest corner, incorporated into the walls of this 13th century church, are the remains of a 4th or 5th century Romano-British basilica. The church has a remarkable collection of monuments ranging from a brass to John Motesfont, d.1420, to a roundel carved in marble by John Flaxman in memory of Anne Russell and her son d.1781.
Text copyright © 2014 Joan Campbell