St Mary, East Guldeford (TN31 7PA)

Exterior view of St Mary, East Guldeford - copyright © 2014 David Campbell

Exterior view of St Mary, East Guldeford – copyright © 2014 David Campbell

St Mary’s was built under the patronage of Sir Richard de Guldeford and was consecrated on 20th September 1505. It is unusual in that it is the only one of the Marsh churches originally constructed of brick and is the only one in Sussex, rather than Kent. The interior is dominated by a striking late-19th century painted frieze of angels illustrating the Six Days of Creation.

Text copyright © 2014 Joan Campbell

Interior view of St Mary, East Guldeford - copyright © 2014 David Campbell

Interior view of St Mary, East Guldeford – copyright © 2014 David Campbell